1924

Sun Yat-Sen
My studies at the Iolani School in Honolulu introduced me to the American System of Economics. Despite getting my doctorate degree in medicine in Hong Kong my true passion was politics. Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address particularly inspired me. “Government of the people, by the people for the people.” I became increasingly dissatisfied with our Qing government; this dynasty
was not going to build a modern China. I found it necessary to start my own revolutionary party. Initially called the Tongmenghui it later became known as the Kuomintang. There were many outside forces opposed to my revolutionary ideas, at one point I had to seek a asylum in Japan after my unsuccessful revolt against Yuan Shikai. Eventually I was able to regroup the Kuomintang and return to China where I was elected president and I was finally able to lay the groundwork for our political system. The “ Three Principles of the People” (nationalism, democracy and social well being) were the fundamentals of my revolutionary agenda. I believed that the Chinese government should be controlled by the Chinese rather that a foreign imperial house. I believe the land that people own should be equalized amongst the people. Wealth should be equally distributed and the government should mitigate the effects of capitalism,

“ All through my revolutionary career I have held the view that China must be made a republic. There is no ground for preserving a monarchial form of government since it is widely recognized that the people constitute the foundation of a nation and they are equal in their own country”

I am convinced if my Three Principles are enforced we will be able to establish a democracy; freedom peace and equality in China.


No comments:

Post a Comment